When Tom and I met, it didn't take long for us to strike some common ground. We had both wanted to live on farms since we were little people. The longer we were together, the more we knew that our future together would involve making that goal a reality. So, some 6 years later, we sold up Tom's house (and our home where we had just experienced our second baby's homebirth) and began our farm change adventure.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Money and water.

We have a tank installed! Silly me took a photo of the ground being prepared for the smallest tank to go in first, and I didn't take one of the tank installed...ah, well!
With a little help from a brother, Tom worked hard last week (with two trips down straight after work) to prepare trenches and pipes so that the small tank could start collecting water. I will be able to report after this weekend as to the efficacy of works undertaken.
I've also had a chat with our accountant about our tax affairs. It was scary in anticipation of the appointment, but now I have complete confidence in what I have to do...wholly and solely because I've been recommended I leave the hard work up to the sweet, sweet magic of...SOFTWARE! The package she recommends is a PC-only job, and I don't fancy messing around with Parallels to get Windows on my precious Mac. So, I'm going with a package called MoneyWorks Express. I'm mostly through the tutorial and really excited about setting up account codes, recording receipts and generating reports. Sad, I know. Efficient, definitely.
I've been on the blower to the CMA guy who said he was going to do a walk of our creekline to determine if we qualify as priority landowners for assistance in water frontage management. He reckons we do, and he'll go back to do a more thorough inspection. Between children annoying each other (loudly) and dogs barking, I *think* I heard him say we ARE in a priority area and will be eligible for fencing and reveg assistance - brilliant! He also said they have done some work upstream and a bit downstream, so I'll be interested to see those works and plans of action for them.
Oh, and possibly the most important part of proceedings is the news that I have two poles ready to be 'planted' into the ground by the hill track gate, for the purposes of attaching our Tibetan Prayer Flags. It's gotta be a good vibe for us to implement this vital detail for the prosperity of the farm and of the universe we serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment