When Tom and I met, it didn't take long for us to strike some common ground. We had both wanted to live on farms since we were little people. The longer we were together, the more we knew that our future together would involve making that goal a reality. So, some 6 years later, we sold up Tom's house (and our home where we had just experienced our second baby's homebirth) and began our farm change adventure.

Monday, May 2, 2011

And here they are...

These are our latest additions to the equine aspect of our farm! I did it! I converted us all into horsey types! Believe me when I say that I am done for now. No more horses. Not till we have a house on the hill, with the horse paddocks better organised so that I can keep a Friesian or Andalusian (leave me with my fantasies, please!) as well...
These guys were picked up near Bendigo just before 11am and arrived her, via Warragul, after 4pm. They were tired, they were sweaty and then they had to contend with the eejits in the paddock who believed themselves to be wild stallions. Hawaii (the little one) was chased, but out-manoeuvred Dante, and Mia is learning that her kick has currency in THIS herd, too. Being the only mare, she can teach them some manners.

They both came from Brosha Pony Stud, though only Brosha Hawaii was bred there as Karedon Mia was bought in for breeding, but never grew big enough for their liking. Mia is partly educated and I just need to finish her off. Hawaii hasn't a scrap of education, is strong and, as I discovered tonight, very cuddly. I gained his trust a bit and I hope to work on that over the next weeks, before I even try to do anything else with him. I'll stick him in the small paddock and hang out with him, touch him all over, pick up his feet, groom him and work from there.
Mia will also get work in the yard I'll be getting on her soon - she needs a weight-loss regime! I'll let her settle in before I stress her and ask some more demanding questions of her. She took a shine to Tom, as he led her around, away from the paddock bullies. Oscar also led her down the road a bit and she was lovely in hand - very promising. She'll teach HIM some manners, too.
The search for these ponies was quick, but not easy. I thought about it long before I eye-balled any ponies. The gamble is the Shetland, as he is very unbroken and unhandled. If we play our cards right he'll be a dreamy pony for Small Girl. Mia is going to be a gorgeous ride for Small Boy at Pony Club and at local agi shows (we'll have to update her Buckskin registration), and there is a new section called Ridden Native Ponies that both of these fall under for shows - none of this in hand showing, or being snorted out of ridden classes! But only for local agis - I will NOT be travelling the countryside for showing...!
Anyhow, that's the latest headcount and I'm sure Tom wants it to stay that way...that's a lot of feet to trim now...

No comments:

Post a Comment