When Tom and I met, it didn't take long for us to strike some common ground. We had both wanted to live on farms since we were little people. The longer we were together, the more we knew that our future together would involve making that goal a reality. So, some 6 years later, we sold up Tom's house (and our home where we had just experienced our second baby's homebirth) and began our farm change adventure.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Progressions

Plaster is ordered.
Flue kit is ordered.
One weekend organised where children will be absent (and, by default, their mother, who may even enjoy spending a rainy weekend in drier climes) so that much internal work may be accomplished, unhindered.
It's good for the psyche to tough it out in the caravan these cold nights, knowing that a warm and toasty, insulated, wood-stove heated, two bedroomed, large loungeroomed shed conversion will save us from the tyranny of South Gippsland caravan living. Don't go and tell me any different, because it's these little epithets that get me through the days. And nights. And mornings. Good for soul. Good for psyche. Good for character-building yaddiyaddah...I think. I MUST believe!
Tonight, Mr Nekked Farmer attended the first of many Thursday nights run by DPI (Department of Primary Industries) on Whole Farm Planning. Now, WFP is what my Horse Property Management course drew heavily from, so the Mr is already a bit familiar with the principles involved after I came home last November gushing about shelter belts, fencing along contour lines, protecting waterways, and all that environmentally responsible farm planning stuff that still gets me just a little exciteable. So, now we'll have two of us on board with the sustainable farming caper - the more the merrier.
Oh, and in some ambivalent news...we sold steers! 15 of our biggest fellas were sold at market on Wednesday morning, in Koonwarra (where many of ours were bought from), and some were sent to Warrnambool, some to Cranbourne. My heart is heavy for the ones heading out west. They had quiet, happy lives here for the past 11 months, only to be packed onto a truck for hours before meeting their fate. I think I'd prefer to have the choice of sending them closer. More next week, we think. I suppose we'll get used to it, given time. Here are the hefty boys in the holding yard, waiting for a truck to arrive...

I expect the next installment to include pictures of plastered walls...watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment